HandsworthIn the Domesday Book account, Handsworth is spelt "Handeswrde" and is joined to Whiston ("Witestan") to form a single manor. Before the Conquest, Torchil is reported as being the Lord, but after the Conquest, it was handed over to Robert, Count of Mortain, who was the half-brother of William the Conqueror. Richard de Sourdeval held it for Count Robert. The Manor then passed, through marriage, to the Paynel and Lovetot families. It was a member of the Lovetot family who built the parish Church in Handsworth.
CharterAgreement: 5 August 1367
Agreement whereby Sir Walter Montgomery and Maud his wife agree to pay Dame Joan, widow of Sir Thomas Furnivall, an annuity of 40s., part of an annual rent of 20 marks from lands granted to the said Maud, for life, by the said Sir Thomas, her father, in Hallamshire , namely Sheffield, Ecclesfield, Bradfield and Hanworth, co. York. Dated at Derby
Witnesses: Simon de Leek,
William de Wakebrug',
with others (not named)
Grantors: Sir Walter Montgomery, Maud Montgomery wife of Sir Walter Montgomery ,
Grantees: Dame Joan Furnivall widow of Sir Thomas Furnivall
Places:: Shefeld (Sheffield, co. York)
Ecclesfeld (Ecclesfield, co. York)
Bradefeld (Bradfield, co. York)
Hannesworth (Handsworth )
Halumschire ( Hallamshire )
Reference:Wolley Charter v.32
4 Oct 1316. Grant by Merjoria late wife of Robert de Craven dwelling in
Handisworth Wodehousis to John son of Nicholas de Astona (Aston),
of 2 acres of meadow in the meadows of Handisworih Wodehouns in le Brodehing between the meadow of John de Hakinthorp and
that of William de Birlayston, and abutting at one end on the meadow
of John de Hakinthorp and that of Richard de Marcham and at the other
end on the mill dike. Witnessies : Hugh de Keuetona (Kiveton), Mathew de
Actona, Hugh le Westrin, William de Birlayston of Handisworth Wodehous William son of Nicholas of the same.
Aston, Monday after the feast of St. Dennis. 1316.
1482. Grant by John Burghe of Hansworth Wodhosse to John Hewett of Waleis (Wales) of all his lands etc. in the town,
territory of Wodhousse and in the parish of Hansworth, late
belonging to Wm. Burghe his father.
Witnesses: Wm. Mariot of Wodhouse, John Markham, John Mariot, Wm. Skergyll, Thos. Allen all of the same. Hansworth Wodhousse, Whit Sunday. 22 Edw. iv.
25 Jan 1483/4. Confirmation by John Burghe, son and heir of Wm. Burgh late of Hansworth Wodhows to John Hewitt of Walys by Aston, Yorks., of his holding in Hansworth-Wodhows held by demise of the said John Burgh. Hansworth Wodhows. The Conversion of St. Paul. 1 Ric. iii.
13 Aug. 1581. Power of attorney by George Earl of
Shrewsbury to Wm. Treppett and Wm. Clemmens to receive seisin from Wm.
Pennell of Over Woddall in the parish of Darfelde, Yorks.
yeoman, of Mylneclose, in the fields and territories of Hansworthe Wodhouse, Yorks. pursuant to a deed of the same date.
13 Aug. 23 Eliz 1581.
Signed: G. Shrouesbury.
Described in 1822 as a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberties of St. Peter and Hallamshire; 4½ miles South East of Sheffield, 7 from Rotherham, 12½ from Chesterfield, 55 from York. Population, 2,173. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £12 4s. 7d. Patron, the Duke of Norfolk.
Handsworth is situated upon an eminence, on the turnpike road from Sheffield to Worksop, from which are commanded extensive and beautiful views of the surrounding country. Not far from the church yard stands the village school, a respectable stone building, erected by subscription in the year 1800, for the education of a certain number of poor children, to be elected pursuant to the Will of Dr. Lockier, formerly rector of this parish, who, with the Hon. Mrs. Jane Howard, wife of the rector, gave the uses of certain monies for its endowment.
Ballifield was home for many years to the Stacyes.
The following are contained within the Parish:
- Ballifield Hall, the seat of John Jubb, Esq.
- Bramley Hall, the seat of T. Weldon, Esq.
- Hall Gate, 3 farm-houses in the township and parish of Handsworth
- Handsworth Woodhouse
- Hurlefield, a hamlet in the township and parish
- Intack End, a hamlet in the township and parish
- Lamb Hill, a hamlet in the township and parish
- Richmond, a hamlet in the township and parish
- Woodhouse , or Handsworth Wood House
- Woodthorpe, the seat of Hugh Parker, Esq
This map of Handsworth is dated 1855
Scanned Extract from Whites Directory of 1833
Handsworth,is a pleasant village occupying a lofty summit on the Worksop Road, 4 miles E.S.E. of Sheffield, and commanding extensive and beautiful views of the surrounding country. Its parish, which is very fertile and abounds in coal, contains 2338 inhabitants and 4800 acres of land, divided into four constablewicks, viz. Hansworth, Gleadless, Richmond, and Woodhouse, which repair their roads separately, but support their poor conjointly at an expense of about £1000 per annum. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, and claims the minerals under the common land, which was enclosed in 1805. The whole parish is included with in his liberty of Hallamshire and the jurisdiction of the Sheffield Court of Request. George, the Sixth Earl of Shrewsbury, built a house here for his occasional retreat, and in it was born his grandson, and also Sir Charles Cavendish, afterwards Duke of Newcastle, who was baptised here in 1593. This hall shared the same fate as the more extensive mansions of Sheffield Castle and Manor, and is now a mere farm house. The church at Hansworth was a small ancient structure, but it has just been enlarged, renewed, and a great portion of it rebuilt. The present tower and spire were erected in 1825, previous to which, the old tower was surmounted by a low pyramid erected after the more taper spire had been struck down by lightning, in 1698. The living is a rectory valued in the King’s books at £12. 4s. 7d. out of it Gerard de Furnival gave to the prebend of Laughten-en-le-Morthen, in York Cathedral, an annual pension of 2 and a half marks. The Duke of Norfolk is the patron, and the Rev. John Hand, LL.B. is the incumbent. The school, with a house for the master, was built by subscription in 1800, and is endowed with £20 1s. per annum arising from £668. 9s. three per cent, console, bequeathed by the Rev. F. Lockier, in 1740, and Mrs. Howard, widow of a late rector, who died in 1801. When the Stacyes lived at Ballifield , they were converted to Quakerism by the preaching of George Fox, and many of them were buried in a retired corner of their estate at Cinderhill now the property of Mr. Cadman, who has converted the cemetery into a plantation.
GLEADLESS is an indifferently built village, on an eminence 4 miles S.S.E. of Sheffield, occupied partly by colliers. An Independent Chapel was built here in 1824, and a school in 1815, by subscription. Half a mile to the N.E. is Hollinsend & Four-lane Ends, two hamlets on the Mosbrough and Eckington road.
INTAKE is a hamlet and district of modern enclosures, and joining to Sheffield Park. Here and in the neighbourhood are several extensive collieries.
RICHMOND It a pleasant village half a mile E. by S. of Sheffield, on the Intake and Hansworth road. Near it is Richmond Hill, the seat of Offley Shore, Esq., and Lamb Hill, an ancient hamlet.
Woodhouse or Handsworth Woodhouse is a neat village 5 miles S.E. of Sheffield. On the beck is Woodhouse Mill, employed in grinding corn and in forging and rolling iron and steel; and in the vicinity are several grinding wheels. A Methodist chapel was built here in 1814.
WOODTHORPE, the extensive estate and mansion of Hugh Parker, Esq. is pleasantly situated on the Intake road, 3 miles East of Sheffield.
Buxton C. wheelwright & Beer house
Cadman Peter, merchantt. Grange
Crofts John, tailor, Hallgate
Cutts William, Beer house
Darwent Robert, Butcher
Dodson Edw. farmer, Old Hall
Dodson Eliz. vict. Cross Keys
England Joseph, vict. Crown
England Thos. tailor, Hallgates
Fisher, Holmes, Foster, and Holmes, Nursery & seedsmen
Fisher George, Nurseryman
Foster James, Nurseryman
Gilberthorpe Thos. Maltster
Hand Rev. John, LL.B. Rector
Hilton W. bookkeeper, Ballifield Engine
Hirst Robert Michael
Holmes Edw. & Jno. Nurserymen
Hotham John, farmer, Old Hall
Hounsfield & Co. Colliery owners, Darnall colliery
Jeffcock Thos. gent. Woodland Cottage
Jeffcock W Coal Master; living at High hazles
Jubb Henry, Esq, Ballifield Hall
Leadbeater John and George, Wheelwrights & Joiners
Lister Jph. bookpr. Hallgates
Littlewood Mrs. Sarah
Lomas Daniel, mason, Hallgates
Marsden Wm. Blacksmith
Mirfin Wm. shoemkr. Hallgates
Scott Samuel, saddler
Sibrey George, par. clerk, shoe maker, and watch repairer
Sorby Hy. Walter and Richard, Colliery owners, Dore house
Spafford Thomas, farmer
Stacey and Habershon, Colliery owners, Ballifield
Stevenson John, blacksmith
Taylor Mary, shopkeeper
Wallis John and Richard, Tmber merchants (and Sheffield)
Warburton and Gray, maltsters
Ward Mrs. Eleanor, Dore House
Webster Henry, free school
Weldon T. Esq. Bramley Hall
Wilson John, gent.
Atkin William, shoemaker
Barker Joseph, farmer
Barlow Thomas, shoemaker
Booth Wm. vict Lane ends
Clayton Benj Beer hs. Lane ends
Clayton Jon. shopkpr. Lane ends
Cressey Mrs. Ann
Eaton Adams, schoolmaster
Eaton Joseph, stone mason
Fearnley William, victualler
Hoyland Joseph, butcher
Jackson George, farmer
Jackson Joseph, joiner
Jones George, yeoman
Jones George, jun. beer house
Jones Simon, shopr. Common side
Linley Peter, vict. Ball
Marriott Joseph, tailor
Newbould Wm. jun. Coal merchant, Myrtle spring
Rhodes Jonth. colliery owner
Searls James, gardener & shopr
Skelton Jph. & Jas. shopkprs.
Smith Wm pig jobber
Stevenson Wm. Star beer house
Wagstaff Jno. Vict. & cattle dlr.
Ward William, butcher
Wildsmith Jas. & Joseph farmers
Wilson Martin, farmer
Marked ¹ are at Intake ² Lamb Hill
Barker John, farmer
Barker John. jun. butcher
¹Cardwell William, butcher
¹ Cavill George, butcher
Frith John, gent.
¹ Glossop Charles, vict. Ball
² Hibbard Mrs. Catharine
² Hibbard Rowland, Esq.
¹ Hunter Win, bookkeeper
¹ Hutchinson John Jph. & Robt. butchers
Hutchinson S. & Thos. butchers
¹ Kay Robert, wheelwright
¹ Marsden George, blacksmith
¹ Newbould Wm. colliery owner
Nunns Rt. wheelwright & joiner
¹Oldfield James beer house
Parker Hugh, Esq. Woodtborpe
Parker John, Esq. M.P. Wood- thorpe
Seaton Joseph, shoemaker
Shore Offley, Esq. banker, Richmond hill
Smelter Mrs. Ann
Smelter Wm. Townend, Esq..
¹ Smith John, shopkeeper
Stead John, farmer
¹ Swinnerton Geo. farmer
Ward Jno. gardener & beer ho.
Ward J. & Westran J. shoemks.
Youle James, shopkeeper
² Youle John, cutler
Atkin Samuel, corn miller
Atkin Samuel, jun. baker
Birks Mrs. Eliz.
Birks John, gardener
Birks Peter Potter, tanner
Brammer Mrs. Sarah, school
Champion Wm. slater
Eyre George. roller, Woodhouse mill
Eyre John, weaver & shopkpr.
Foster Jas. corn & bone miller
Gill James, button mould mfr.
Habershon Jph. coal master
Heaton William, cutler
Hodgson Charles, merchant
Hodgson Charles and Co. shear steel mfrs. & rollers
Johnson John, gent.
Laver Eliz. matron, Workhouse
Le Tall, Benjamin, surgeon
Littlewood Edmund, schoolmr.
Morton Jeremiah, cooper
Nicholson John, surgeon
Oldale Thomas, gardener
Pearson John, excise officer
Sharman Mrs. Elizabeth
Smith Jonathan, nail mfr.
Sybrey Thomas, constable
Taylor Mr. Samuel
Warburton Mrs. Harriot, school
Watts Thomas, blacksmith
Wortley James, forgeman
Boot and Shoe makers
Gee S. and P.
Ward Geo.& J.
Ward T. & W.
Hawksworth Rt. & ass, overseer
Ward T. & W. cattle dlrs.
Le Tall John
Frith Jeremiah, Beer house
Warburton W. & Co.
Greenwood I. & W
Wheelwrights & Joiners
Adsetts G. & H
Fowler & Staniforth
There was a small community of Independents in Handsworth Woodhouse from the later years of the 18th century but for a number of reasons, including the establishment of a Methodist chapel, the Independents had ceased to be active by about 1800. Then about 1827 Mr Hattersley, a farmer from Catcliffe, began preaching. A new community of Independents grew up and a place of worship was registered in 1828. This flourished and in 1836 a new chapel was built called (in the 1851 religious census) Zion Independent Chapel. In 1875 it was decided to build a new and larger chapel. The foundation stone for this was laid on 30 October 1876 and the church was opened on 4 September 1877. The church was closed in December 1985