Catcliffe was mentioned in the Domesday Book. Catcliffe means wild cat cliff, it is presumed to refer to the steep banks of the River Rother.
A 1649 rental of the estates of the Earls of Pembroke, records the most important tenants of Catcliffe being George Oake, Margaret Jarvis and Thomas Revell.
In 1801 Catcliffe had a population of 135; in 1811 - 170; 1821 - 202; ; in 1831 it was 196; 1861 - 279; 1871 - 336;1891 - 532; 1901 - 1232.
1702, George Beardsall, bequeathed £6 out of an estate at Catcliffe, to be distributed annually on St George's day, "amongst 24 lame, impotent, old, blind and poor persons, not able to work, by 5s a piece, residing in Rotherham and Catcliffe".
Local Information Schools, Councillors etc
Images of Catcliffe Flash
Images of Catcliffe
Catcliffe Shopping Centre situated on Poplar Way, Catcliffe
About The Brightmore Family of Catcliffe