Treeton Parish ChurchAugust, 2003
Treeton Parish Church is one of 34 Yorkshire churches dedicated to St. Helen.
The Chancel arch wall and the Inner porch doorway are Norman
There are six church bells. They were cast in the nineteenth century by John Taylor ,of Loughborough, Bellfounders. The 5th bell was cast in 1642. Four of the bells contain an inscription. The tenor weighs 11 cwt 21 lb. being the heaviest, the rest ranging from 4cwt to just over 3. The tenor is tuned to G sharp.
The altar rails and fittings of the Brampton Chapel were added by Rev. William Francis Kerr. in memory of his eldest son, Lieutenant Edward B. Kerr.
George Lord of Brampton Yeoman, died 24 October, 1524?
Inscription down left:Wife of William Vescy
Inscription below reads: Herein interred the body of Elizabeth daughter of John Vescy of Brampton Gentleman
Sometime wife to Francis Bradshaw of Brampton Esq. and also ____ wife to John Bolle Esq. who departed this life the fourteenth day of March 1676
The organ was built by Sheffield organ-builder Charles Brindley, ( who in 1871 formed the partnership of Brindley and Foster) and installed in 1868 the same year that Brindley was engaged on a complete rebuild of the organ in Selby Abbey in Yorkshire. It was paid for by subscription at a cost of £117 15s. 4d.
This effigial monument is the earliest in our area. It is positioned upright in a niche beneath the tower. It was referred to by Charles Hadfield, in 1896, when making repairs to the church :
Return to Top
Clearly not in the original position, it has suffered damage over the centuries - a large shield suggests it is probably late 13th century. The Horbery's and the Beranek's held manors in the village in the late 13th century and early 14th.
The Marble Angel in memory of Annie Jones, wife of F. J. Jones, who died on 10th December, 1893
See also More history