See also Treeton Local History Group »
Treeton will always be associated with Sir Walter Scott's legendary Ivanhoe, for it was around Rotherwood that many of the chief scenes were written.
Extract from Ivanhoe 'In that pleasant part of merry England which is watered by the River Don there extended in ancient times, a large forest covering the greater part of the beautiful hills and valleys which lie between Sheffield and the pleasant town of Doncaster. The remains of this ancient woodland, remain to be seen at the noble seats of Wentworth and Wharncliffe and around Rotherham'.
Sir Walter Scott - 1819
Treetons Ancient Name
Referred to in the Domesday Book as Trectone, Tretone. Ref: 21, 81 b ; in Kirkby's Inquest,as Treton, Tretthon, Ref: 6, 9, 230, 281 ; also in Kirkby's Inquest, under the present modern name Treeton, Ref: 295.358
Virtually all of the place names decided on up to around the 14th Century were due to the environment of the area. In Celtic Terms ( 800BC - 400 AD )- Tre meant a hamlet, village, or town. The Saxon Terms ( 350AD - 1000AD) Ton meant a house or a farm.
A Dictionary of English Place-Names states: Probably farmstead built with posts. Old English tr ow + t n.
Lords of the Manor
Treeton's Saxon lords were Morcar , who was Earl of Northumbria. His lands included a manor in Ulley, Wales and Brampton-en-le-Morthen in the time of Edward the Confessor; and Ulchil ,the Domesday Book lists him as the landholder in Brampton-en-le-Morthen and Treeton. Eventually they were dispossessed, and Treeton along with parts of Ulley were given to Robert de Morton, half-brother of William the Conqueror, younger brother of Bishop Odo of Bayeux.
The count of Mortain in turn gave it to Richard de Sourdeval, one of the lesser lords, who came over with the invading army.
It then passed to the Furnival's, under whom it was held by the Paynels and the Lutterels - by 1298 the Furnivals had become sole lords, and they subinfeuded the estate to the Horberys, from Headon, Nottinghamshire. Ralph de Horbury was from a family which had provided stewards for the Earls Warenne, and Bernaks.
By marriage, Treeton came into the possession of John, Lord Talbot, the famous general; who, for his eminent services, was created Earl of Shrewsbury, by King Henry VI.
Sir Christopher Talbot a younger son of the 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury is described in various charters as being of Treeton,
Robert de Pierrepoint obtained a charter of free warren in North Anston , South Anston and Treeton. Robert de Pierpont was created Lord Pierpont, of Holm-Pierpont, Viscount Newark, and Earl of Kingston, by King Charles I; who, in gratitude and loyalty to his royal benefactor, raised a regiment for his service, and was taken prisoner at the surrender of Gainsborough.
From the 1820s, the Dukes of Norfolk was sole Lord.
The Domesday Book
The Rev. William Bawdwen of Hooton Pagnell engaged on the task of translating from latin, parts of the Domesday Book. His work was published in 1809. The Domesday Book recorded two mills in the manor of Treeton and a water powered mill was recorded in 1489. One of the first water mills to be constructed was at Bedgrave on the River Rother. This structure was completed around 1100 and part of the mill is today used as the Visitor Centre of the Rother Valley Country Park.
In Norman times, the Parish of Treeton included the townships of Ulley and Brampton-en-le-Morthen. In the township of Treeton, there was about 400 acres of land lying remote from it, located within the Manor of Wales - known as Waleswood.