The Cummins Family
A William Cummins was born on 21st July, 1807, he married Mary, born 3rd June, 1804, on 29th December, 1829.
They had five children:
- Mary Ann, born 27/02/1832
- John, born 27/12/32
- William, born 10/08/37
- Elizabeth, born 03/06/40
- Thomas, born 08/02/44
The third child, William, married unknown, had at least 2 children:
- William James born on 29/01/1859
- Ann Elizabeth, born 08/09/1857
William James Cummins was born in Staveley, Derbyshire, he married Jane Atkinson on the 17th May, 1880 at Eckington.
He started work when he was 11, and a year later, was working down the pit. In 1891, they moved to Treeton where he worked at the coal face for three years and then as a deputy until his retirement at the age of 72.
William and Mary lived at 13 Rother Crescent, their children were :
- John William born 02/07/1881 married Jessie Walker on 25/12/1905 at Treeton
- Thomas, born 04/09/83, married Hetty
- Ethel born 09/07/84, married Harold Rossington on 24/01/19 at Treeton Methodist Chapel
- Florence, born 08/04/85, died 13/04/85
- George Henry, born 01/09/86, died 19/01/87
- Mary Jane, born 28/12/89, married Wilfred Gilbert on 20/06/1914
- Mildred born 02/07/07, died 07/04/1913
- Minnie born 21/08/1896, married Thomas Oswald Rossington in December, 1919 at Treeton Methodist Chapel
John William Cummins and Jessie Walker (born 3rd June, 1886 at Treeton), married on 25th December, 1905 at Treeton. Before moving to Front Street, they lived at Jackson's Farm He was the local Dairyman. Chairman of Old Folk's Treats Committee, formed in 1923; Chairman of Treeton Parish Council in 1926. Their children were:
- Ronald, Co-op Manager, born 10/07/11 married Marjorie Francis, on 8/03/34. They had three children.
- Marjorie , born on 20/07/13 married Arnold Thompson(1936 - 1984) on 9/07/36 at Treeton.. They had 3 children, Elizabeth died 2004?
- Edna born 2/09/15, married James Gratton(1911 - ?) on 14/02/42, lived at Rother Cres,Treeton. They had one son.
- William John Cummins born 8/09/21 married Enid Morgan(1924 - 1986), on 18/09/48. They had 2 sons.
- Winifred Evelyn born 1/06/24 married John L Sorsby(1919 - ?), on 27/12/48 at Treeton. They had 2 children.
- Barbara born on 14/02/28, married Harold E. Clegg(1925 - 1995) on 2/07/49 at Treeton.
Notes: in the IGI Index a William Cumings and Sarah were the parents of an Emma Cumings who was christened on 06 MAY 1848 at Eckington, Derby.
1901 census - William Cummins aged 42 born Derby Staveley, W Riding Of York Lived in Treeton employed as a Colliery Deputy